Our History

Trinity United Methodist Church began back in 1828 when a small group of pioneer settlers in this community (known as Whetstone back then) gathered in homes for worship. This was twenty years before Morrow County was formed and Mount Gilead was made the county seat.

On March 4, 1829 this group became a Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church and was served by some circuit riding pastors in the area. Trinity is the oldest church in town.

Our first building was built in 1831. It was a small log cabin. It was used until our present location was purchased in 1843. The lot cost the church a mere $100.00. The second house of worship was completed by 1845 at the cost of $2,150.00. That building was replaced 12 years later and was dedicated to the service and worship of God on March 4, 1900, exactly 71 years to the day when the congregation was originally organized. In the past 100+ years we have seen a number of additions, renovations, and numerous projects which have improved the church property and have aided the church’s ministry to its members and to the community.

%d bloggers like this: